Wednesday, June 23, 2010

kid love

I could hear the small child-like voice singing on the other side of the door, the same song "butterfly, butterfly something, something fly". I couldn't make out two of the words, but the song repeated every 30 seconds, right outside my front door.

"butterfly, butterfly, fly through the sky"

I opened the door, expecting a person and there was my daughters new bike. Someone had put batteries in it while I was out and had turned it into a singing bike! I smiled at the little pink bike, a little rough around the edges and as Hannah put it "a tricycle, for liitle babies, not for big girls" but when we tried to take it back, she changed her tune.

See, the bike was brought home for Hannah by her brother after a long two week stay at his relatives in Kentucky. His Grandmother had given it to him for her and I like to imagine how Will & MeMe came to the conclusion that he would be bringing this singing bike home for his little sister here in Ohio. I am proud that he was thinking of her while he was away. We don't always talk about how he feels when he is away, but the actions say more than we can anyway.

For Hannah, it was easy to hug her big brother and tell him she missed him. She's 3 and has a knack for those kinds of things. The bike was a 9 year old boys way of saying "I missed you, too. And I love you." What he said out loud was "Here, let me show you how this thing works, it's really cool!"

Psalm 27:13, "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living."

No comments:

Post a Comment