Tuesday, June 15, 2010

you are the light of the world

Jeremiah 29:11, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" (NIV)

"There is a light and it never goes out..."-the Smiths

Yesterday, I talked to a good friend who's father passed away. Her mom had passed when she was very young and she is still young. I can't remember what it is called, maybe sitting with someone who's had a family member pass, it is a term that escapes me. Still, I went to sit with her and talk about her dad. I really like her dad, he is funny and tells grand stories. Or he smokes a lot and listens to us.

Then a friend I have had since I can remember called to talk about her partner who can't stop drinking. She wanted to know what to do. She has waited 4 long years as he drinks himself to oblivion night by night. She is afraid of losing him, afraid of enabling him and afraid for their future.

A family member on MDH's side is suffering through the same ordeal, only her struggle has lasted a lifetime. Her husband goes to the psych ward and jail regularly. She can't live in the same house with him. He drinks vodka all day long. She wishes he would just smoke pot because the vodka makes him mean.

In the past, I would not have been available to these friends. I would have been on my way to oblivion by any means neccessary. Today, I can share experience, strength and hope with each of the women in my life. I also have grand stories. My experience shows me that God has laid out a beautiful path for me. Each struggle is a learning opportunity. I talked to my mom who was struggling with family drama and gossip and she is a light that never goes out- she said these are all little tests for me to show love and learn God's lessons. I, too, am a light. A beacon in a stormy world! I must get up in the morning and let my light shine so when the opportunities come, I can lean on God and let others know they can, too. I do not have to be a fanatic or evangelical. If I Trust & Rely on God, that will always be enough. He will do the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment