Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Can you even imagine?

I am fishing. I meet this stranger. Positive, kind, a foreboding almost. My instinct should tell me to run from this odd man, but instead, I give up all of my wordly possessions, quit my job and follow him. Everywhere. He says he is the Son of God and I believe him. He tells me he loves me unconditionally and I believe him. He tells me the meek will have great riches someday and as always, I believe him. I watch him heal the blind and befriend the poor and lonely. Prostitutes and thieves give up their livelihoods because he tells them to. He could live like a rock star, but he travels with nothing and relies on the kindness of strangers. He loves everyone we meet and tells them so. They believe it, too.

Simple. There are those who believe and those who do not. There are those who might believe if it seemed cooler or more credible. The stories may seem farfetched and it's easy to be cynical about them. I choose belief because God gave me the power of choice. Now, to be fair, I believe in all kinds of things, mostly I think the Universe is so big and wondrous and I am a small piece of it, so small I can't be seen with the naked eye from the moon.....but when I look up there and see the moon with my naked eye, all glowing and brilliant and orange, I believe with Love all things are possible.

Luke 5:11, "So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him." (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment